Rutherford County Habitat for Humanity works in partnership with God and people everywhere, from all walks of life, to eliminate poverty housing by building simple, decent, affordable homes.
They build homes for individuals/families that qualify for the Habitat Program. It is not a hand-out but a hand-up!
Their families must meet three requirements:
1. Do they have a need? Most of their families are living in substandard housing or paying more than 50% of their household income just in rent.
2. Are they willing to partner with Habitat? This includes completing 200 – 400 hours of sweat equity, attending a 30 week Financial – Homeowner Class, communicating with the staff, and making a down payment.
3. Can they pay? All of our homeowners pay a mortgage. The mortgage has no interest and includes their insurance as well as their taxes.
They also have a ReStore that is open to the public. The ReStore carries a wide variety of items; furniture, flooring, rugs, art, appliances, paint, doors, windows, lighting, etc. Some items are donated and some are brand new, but the prices are always great.
Opportunities to serve ON SITE: Their volunteer schedule for the job-site varies depending on when and where the project is. The best thing to do is to call or e-mail often if you are interested.
The ReStore schedules volunteers on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
Opportunities to serve OFF SITE: N/A
Donation Needs: They don’t necessarily take group collection donations, but the ReStore takes donations and will even do pick-ups.
Event Volunteers: They hold two major fundraiser per year.
1. Hammer Down for Habitat – This is a Motorcycle Poker Run.
2. Cookin’ to Build – This is a chili cook off with painted bowls, dessert, live music, and a great atmosphere. They need volunteers to help with set-up, bowl selection, and break down.
How to volunteer: The best way to get started as an individual Habitat volunteer is to fill out their Volunteer Application. You can print one off of the web-site, pick one up at the office, or ask Megan to e-mail you an application. Once you fill that out and they have your information on file, you can sign up for opportunities.
If you are calling on behalf of a group, the best thing to do is to call several weeks ahead to see if we have a specific date open.